Skip to main content

Removing the Biggest Barrier to Young People’s Aspirations

We can give the next generation the spark to ready them for the future says Antony Jinman. 

What would you like to be when you leave school? Were you asked as a child? Perhaps you remember what you said. A footballer; farmer; engineer; doctor; nurse; astronaut? 

Whatever the response, the point is that our dreams matter. Becoming a physiotherapist because an early love of rugby was nurtured is a great thing. An engineer looking back fondly at childhood memories of building mighty cityscapes from Lego is a great thing. 

Yet so many young people aren’t aware of the career options available, lack the role models (beyond celebrities and sports starts perhaps!) to inspire them and don’t know the practical steps to start considering how to get from where you want to be. 

Antony's Career Journey 


We’re in the midst of exam season, a time of stress for many when pathways are set and the next steps are taken, academic or otherwise. For me it certainly wasn’t academic progress. At secondary school I became disillusioned about what I wanted to do. I hoped to go to university but failed my A Levels. 

A lot of my teachers at my school would dictate information, or get students to read aloud for the class, to note down. I struggled. It was when I turned 21, in the Royal Navy that I found out I am dyslexic. This a condition completely missed during my time in education and meaning that the system wasn't designed for a young person like me.

I never really knew what I wanted to do and have always been searching for my place in the world. But looking back, even during the directionless periods of my life, there was something that helped propel me forwards. 

Fascinated by a Frozen World


During primary school, I learnt about Captain Scott and the Antarctica, this frozen continent fascinated me, especially the animals, because it was so different to my South Devon doorstep. At age 8 my dream was to see a penguin in Antarctica. 

After A Levels, my careers advice ‘computer printout’ suggested public services. So I joined the Navy, because I knew the Navy went to Antarctica and I might see a penguin. I didn’t get selected to go on HMS Endurance and ended up on HMS Scott. 

In Search of a Dream 


Within two years, I was medically discharged and started working in adventure tourism. And what an adventure is has been. I was 12th Briton to ski to the geographic North pole and solo to the geographic South Pole. I achieved my dream of reaching the South Pole in 2014, but after two trips to the white continent I haven’t yet seen my penguin on ice! 

Today nearly 20 years since leaving school, I am enjoying an entrepreneurial life and helping to contribute my experiences back to society. 

Which brings me back to the question: What would you like to be when you grow up? One aspect of my work now is a desire to help young people with their career aspirations. 

Choosing a Future Career 


Students largely depend on parents and teachers for career inspiration, who may themselves lack business or industry experience. Some 83% of UK schools do not employ career guidance staff resulting in 70% of young people leaving education with no idea what they want to do. Various employment sectors face skills shortages and retention issues, but employers lack the time to send employees to visit schools. 

During my early adventures, I realised that I could connect to schools using a satellite phone, and built a website so pupils could ask me questions. I have seen that being able to communicate from Antarctica with children in schools helps connect young people to the world and raise aspirations. 

In 2009 I founded a social enterprise, Education Through Expeditions, which delivers school visits and polar science workshops. My team and I have now visited over 800 schools. 

It dawned on me that my expeditions could be used as a catalyst to link polar experts (scientists and educators) with schools on the same website. When I last journeyed to Antarctica in 2016, schools were asking me questions directly answerable via my iPhone! I realised I could link any professional person with teachers and students in a similar way. 

A New Beginning: The Launch of LiketoBe.org


Now that the website LiketoBe.org is up and running I’m inviting organisations across the South West and wider UK to get involved. I’m delighted that the RNLI, Plymouth City Council, Network Rail, Plymouth School of Creative Arts and PGL just to name a few have joined this networking platform enabling educators and young people to connect with business professionals in industry. 

I believe the biggest barrier to young people’s aspirations is lack of knowledge and understanding of career opportunities available. Helping to smash this barrier LiketoBe.org enables young people to communicate with employers in the professional world. 

In a digital era where someone can stand on the top of the world and talk with children in a classroom anywhere, we should be doing all we can to equip and inspire young people for the future possibilities. Whatever they may turn out to be it is vital that we help young people answer the question, “When I leave school, I’d like to be….”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In search of penguins

Image from Antarctica Bound on Flickr Polar adventurer Antony Jinman may have been on several epic trips to both the North and South Poles but he has yet to see a penguin - and that's a fact he's determined to change when he journeys to the South Pole again later this year. Plymouth-born Antony is the 12th Briton to ski to both the Geographic North Pole and solo to the South Pole and his boyhood dream was to follow in the footsteps of his hero Captain Robert Falcon Scott , to journey to the white continent and hopefully see a penguin in real life. Yet despite making it to the South Pole 102 years after Captain Scott, after skiing solo for 46 days to the pole he didn't see a single penguin on the snow or ice! Antony is now about to embark on MS Hebridean Sky (one of the finest small ships in the world) as a guest lecturer, and will be venturing down to the continent once again this December and January. On this occasion, he will be exploring the coastline of Antar

Chris Packham and Johnny Issaluk inspire Bristol students to go into sustainable careers

TV personalities Chris Packham and Johnny Issaluk inspire Bristol students for careers in sustainability ●        On Friday 15th November, wildlife TV presenter Chris Packham and Inuit actor and speaker Johnny Issaluk inspired 1,500 students in Bristol about careers in the environment sector. ●        The  LikeToBe  event, TIC Talks: Our Planet, launched their unique online platform that directly connects employers, educators, and students, bridging the gap between education and employment. ●        The Transformational Inspirational Career (TIC) Talks encouraged today’s students to consider careers they may not have on their radar yet.  ●        Other speakers included representatives from Rolls Royce, Bristol Energy Cooperative, Pure Planet, and Bristol is Open.  On 15th November 2019, a repertoire of speakers including wildlife TV presenter Chris Packham and inuit actor and speaker Johnny Issaluk, along with national and international C-suite businesspeople    spoke

Raising students’ aspirations: Would you LiketoBe involved?

Plymouth Science Park start-up, LiketoBe is a pioneering, innovative, digital networking platform linking employers with students and educators for real world career advice. Would your business benefit from engaging directly with schools, colleges and universities, sharing key career messages, work experience and job opportunities with them? We are hosting an exclusive launch at Plymouth Science Park where we are inviting businesses to become founding supporters of the LiketoBe platform. As a founding business you can create a profile and promote your opportunities and career experience to our growing community of young people and educators. Founder, and Plymouth Polar Adventurer  Antony Jinman , invites you to our launch to pledge your support to raising students’ aspirations locally, nationally and internationally. Following this event, a local and national press release will be issued including testimonials and support from our founding businesses. Join u